Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Foolproof Green Chile





When I married my husband, I knew that some how I would have to figure out how to make Mexican Pork Green Chile.

Nothing makes my hubs more excited than a bunch of green chile smothered burritos (breakfast or dinner).

Here was my problem.... I'd never in my life made that kind of chile.  Didn't have a clue where to start, didn't even know how to buy fresh green peppers.


So after seriously 4 years of trial and error and MANY failed pots of chile... I have finally hit the jackpot!  I feel it is only necessary for me to share the wealth.  It's a perfect fall/winter dish.
Serve it up with some black beans, cheese and whole wheat tortillas and you have a delicious wonderful meal.

Here is your list of ingredients:

4 TBSP of cooking oil
1 pound of pork stew meat
5 TBSP of flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
9-10 fresh roasted green peppers skinned and blended
1- 14oz can of diced tomatoes (I use salsa style diced tomatoes but any kind will do)
3 cups of cold water
1 cup of ice


- Start by peeling your peppers.  I use Big Jim peppers- it give the chile a good kick to it without make your mouth catch fire.  But use however hot, or not hot, of peppers you'd like.
Make sure you get all of the skin off and most of the seedy insides.  
Once they are all peeled I give them a rough chop and throw them in the bullet.  Blend them up and you will get a lovely green paste.  Set aside.

- Next, chop your pork stew meat into tiny 1/2" pieces and throw them into the oil.
Allow the meat to brown, but don't cook all the way through
Remove your browned pork and set aside.

- Add your flour and whisk constantly... allow your flour to turn brown, like the color of a brown paper bag.   Once the flour is the desired color take off the burner and let it sit for a couple of minutes.  

- Add 2 cups of cold water and one cup of ice.  Whisk the flour and water together until there are no more lumps.
Put your pot back on the burner and add your blended peppers, tomatoes, meat and the seasonings.  

Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 5 minutes stirring occasionally to keep the bottom from burning and sticking to your pot.
  
Turn down the heat to a simmer and allow it to simmer partially covered for 1.5-2 hours.

Serve it up and enjoy!
Great for breakfast burritos, beans, tortillas, the possibilities are endless!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...